Tuesday 30 June 2015

Samples

Here are some pictures of some experiments I did with small pieces of SCRAP fabric (as this is sustainable) I wanted to research what layplans worked best and what the best material was to use to get the looks Julian Roberts does with his garments. 
Firstly I created a top, this was a mistake as I didn't cut enough fabric, but as Julian Roberts e-book says, there are no mistakes and I actually really like how this turned out. I didn't waste the circle I cut out either and used it as a decorative accessory. If i was to do this full scale I think I could create the twist a lot better, to make it a feature.  
The second experiment I did was to see if other fabrics worked. I found a piece of wool scrap fabric and decided to work with that. I do like the shapes that I created but it was hard to make the dress look like it was just a massive bulky mess and I think this on a larger scale would only look worse. Thick materials wont be something I consider when buying my fabric for my final dresses after this experiment, I will use either jersey or cotton.
The final sample I did was my favourite as the way I had cut the pattern gave me a lot of material to play with and drape over the manequin and even though at first I was worried this would look too bulky and not attractive on the eye, it actually turned out better as I could plait and twist the fabric to draw the eyes to different parts of the body/dress. I cant wait to use this layplan to create my larger scale dresses. I think that now I have found a layplan I like I will stick to this for all three dresses and change the way i drape the left over fabric to make them unique. 
Below is an image of the layplan that I will be using and following to create my larger scale dresses, this is also the one I used on the sample dress above. 


No comments:

Post a Comment