Tuesday 30 June 2015

Evaluation

During this project, I spent too much time researching and although that research is essential and extremely important, I need to make sure that in future projects I manage my time a lot better. To do this I could have a time table with completion dates that is unique to myself and something I can understand and follow easily, that way I will be able to complete all work.

The dresses themselves, I am actually really happy with how they turned out, especially the black one. I think it has the right amount of material to make it look floaty but not too much that it looks bulky and unattractive. I also think that the finishing touched to both of them made them look a lot more professional. To add more unique qualities to both dresses I could have added a print of dyed them, but unfortunately I ran out of time due to being off poorly.

Even though I did a lot of research considering fabric, If i was to change anything about my dresses it would be this factor as using so much material for this dress meant that it was really heavy and it being made from jersey made it even heavier, next time I will use cotton, even though it doesn't drape as easy, I know I will be able to create some amazing textures, formations and shapes from it, without it being too heavy to actually wear.

I found this project really interesting and I feel like i have learnt a lot and gained many new skills that i can take forward and use in other projects. Making small samples as toiles is a great way of not wasting a lot of fabric and playing around with shapes really inspired me when it came to making the larger scaled dresses.

Overall I find it hard how the way Julian Roberts makes his zero waste pattern cut garments is actually saving fabric (however I know there is a lot more to the meaning behind sustainable fashion) The way I copied Julian Roberts theory made me actually use a lot more fabric than I would have for any other dress I have made, about 3 meters. If I was to do this project again I would focus more on how Holly Mcquillan uses this theory to make her garments as fitting them all together (pattern pieces) seems a lot more efficient.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment